This recipe has been a revelation: delicious, healthy and straightforward to make.
My boys love it! I hope you enjoy it too 🙂
Preparation and cooking time: less than 45 minutes
Serves 2 adults and 2 children.
– 25g Unsalted Butter
– 1tbsp Olive Oil
– 2 Leeks
– 2 Courgettes
– 1 Lemon
– 2 cloves of Garlic
– 200g Arborio or other risotto Rice
– 150ml White Wine
– 600ml (approx) Vegetable Stock
– 50g Parmesan Cheese (optional)
1. Trim and finely chop the Leeks and finely chop the Garlic (you can use a food processor).
2. Grate the Courgette and the Parmesan Cheese. Juice the Lemon.
3. Heat a large pan to medium heat. Add half the Butter and all the Olive Oil.
4. Add the Leeks, Garlic and Courgette and cook for about 5 mins.
5. Add the Arborio Rice, stir and cook for 1 min. Add the White Wine and simmer until absorbed by the rice.
6. Add about 150ml of Vegetable Stock, stir and simmer until absorbed.
7. Repeat step 6 until all the Stock has been absorbed, making sure the mixture does not dry out. This should take about 20 mins. Test a few grains of rice and add more water if it needs longer cooking. It should still have a little bit of ‘bite’.
8. Take the pan off the heat and add the Lemon Juice, the rest of the Butter and the Parmesan Cheese, and mix well.
9. Leave for a couple of minutes to let the flavours combine. Serve in bowls.
Add cooked Chicken or Bacon at step 8, and use Chicken Stock.
Add cooked Prawns at step 8, and use Fish Stock.